- 10 min prep
- 20 min cook
- 4-6 people
- 2/3 pkg Sunrise Extra Firm Tofu (350g) cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2-3 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 5-6 fresh scallions for garnish
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp organic ketchup
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 whole Bird's Eye chili (or chili flakes)
- Mix together in a separate bowl the brown sugar, Hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, organic ketchup, dark soy sauce, water and Bird's Eye chili (or chili flakes). This will be the sauce.
- Saut茅 ginger and garlic with sesame oil for 2 minutes in a medium sauce pan.
- Add sauce to pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Then set aside.
- Place tofu cubes in a zip lock bag and toss with cornstarch to coat.
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium high heat, then add tofu cubes, discarding excess cornstarch left behind in the bag. Cook the cubes on all sides until golden and crisp, (approximately 1-2 minutes per side).
- Remove crispy tofu from the pan and divide evenly over rice. Pour sauce generously over tofu, sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve. * If using Bird鈥檚 Eye chili in this sauce, remove before serving.
Calories: 230Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1.5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 410mgCarbohydrate: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 7gVitamin A: 20%Vitamin C: 30%Calcium: 8%Iron: 4%
As per one serving size (146g)